Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What a DAY!

I certainly did not know when I logged on today how much adventure I was going to have. Some good. And some not so good.

Let's start with the not so good. Needless to say, I had my first WH experience with PVP. I have had my fair share of fights in K-space, but it certainly feels like a different animal in a WH.

So I log on to find a Tengu and a bunch of wrecks showing up on d-scan. Start looking for him. Within a minute or so the Tengu dissappears off scan. A few minutes later a Drake shows up and the wrecks start dissappearing. Fishy. Nobody in there right mind uses a Drake as a salvage boat. I finish scanning down the ship, which I really need to get better at btw, and find him slowly flying towards the last wreck....at 50 m/s. Fishy. I in my cloaked cov ops open up a convo with him. After a few minutes of talking, and playing tough guy, I fall for his I'm-an-ignorant-WH-noob routine. I basically tell him to leave my sites alone and he flips me the proverbial space bird.

So I BM'd the wreck he was moving to and when he was about 20 km away I warp back to my pos (having already logged Ant in the Domi) and switch out the cov ops for the trusty ol Drake. I then fleet warp to the wreck. When I show up on his wreck...my first sign that I had made a stupid mistake was that he didn't warp off. No. Instead he sped up. Right at me. And out of the ether uncloak 3 buddies. Eff...

The Domi got primaried and both of my ships were ecm'ed by the Falcon they had brought along. They also had a vagabond and the drake plus one other ship I didn't mark down. They scrammed the domi right away and I was able to warp bob in the Drake back to the POS. But while watching the Domi tank like nobody's business...I started to get my hopes up. I WARPED BACK!! (p.s. that was the second mistake) I was very impressed with the domi's ability to tank and I don't know that they would have been able to break it but it just so happens that I got disconnected. Yeah. It's all about timing right? First time in weeks that I DC'd and it had to be then. So it takes me at least 2-3 min to log back on and by that time the domi was done and the drake was on the way out. When I DC'd the domi's reppers had shut off. Kinda hard to tank with no repping AND no buffer. I quickly warp Ant's pod back to the pos and decide there's no hope for the Drake. So I eject and warp to the pos before they can lock me.

Scratch one Domi and one Drake.

So after I run back to the POS to cry inwardly, I continue my conversation with the pirate. Turns out that he's a 'nice' pirate. He even gave me some tips on how to gank ppl with my POS. What a nice guy. hehe

After they ganked me and took all of the loot from my ships they left the system..never to return.

So, instead of emoragequitting I decided to hit the lo sec exit and see where it came out. Turns out it was within 10 jumps of Amarr so I ended up taking the time to take both ant and bob out to replace their lost ships. Much isk and *sighing later, one new drake and one new domi back at my POS.

So let's get on with the good adventure for the day. I mentioned in a previous post how I was going to explain my next venture soon. Here it is. I've decided to upgrade to a Medium POS. While the small POS offered me the ability to not care too much if I lost it, I felt vulnurable. After the encounter with the pirates I could only hope that they wouldn't come back to completely wipe me out of the system. Fortunately that wasn't their game.

Over the course of the last few days I've been collecting items for my new WH kit. This one wouldn't fit in an Itty V so I've decided to involve my Orca in this venture. I wouldn't normally risk it in W-space but I can now afford to replace it if it is lost (thanks WH :).

So after I flew my new Drake and Domi into my WH I went back out with my cov ops to scout for Roblakov in the Orca. Got it in np. Was a little frightening waiting for the huge thing to make it into warp at the lo sec gates though...ughh...

I actually just finished setting up my POS and am almost done disassembling the small. My POS is a version of the classic 'dick star' and is certainly more of a detterent than the small ever was.

So tomorrow will be a day of site clearing and hopefully I will learn from the mistakes of my fail pvp actions and benefit from the added feeling of security from the Med POS.

9 comments:

  1. Bad luck on your losses there. I always try and work out where a target has come from and pop a scout through their wormhole before engaging. Also try not to tell people you will be engaging them before doing so.

    I guess that when playing solo in a wormhole it's worth being really careful when choosing what to engage. Most targets will be part of larger corporations. So pretty much everybody can outnumber you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I agree with Banear...definitely do not tell someone that you are engaging. Chances are...if they see the combat probes...they already assume it.

    The Tengu cloaking and the drake appearing would've made me think a bit as well. Did you manage to look at the pilots details while you were cloaked. Alot of information can be gathered by that and then checking the Corp info.

    Hope you get some better luck in the days coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Banear - I didn't tell him I was engaging actually. I played tough guy and all but didn't say I was engaging until, well, until he saw the drake and the domi warp in ontop of him. It also turns out that they came from a POS 7 jumps out.

    @Enyo - I only ever saw the one pilot while he was in the drake. I had reason to believe that he was the tengu pilot, which turned out to be true. The other ships had entered the wh and cloaked up right away so I had never seen them, even though I suspected they might be there. The one drake pilot was in a corp of one...also a bit fishy since he was in an alliance. Oh well...live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am growing weary of level 4 missioning. I hope you don't mind my being nosy and living vicariously through you for a bit. If it works really well for you, that'll motivate me all the more to give this thing a try.

    I want to stay solo for a while, and it sounds like low level WHs can be done that way. The only thing is, on the laptop I play on, I have trouble multi-clienting.....

    Anyways, good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Okami - Glad to see another possible WH'ler. If you wanna talk about living in W-space feel free to convo me (Boblakov) in game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will - what time do you usually try to play?? Just so I have an idea of when to try chatting.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, to be perfectly honest, I never really go by Eve time. Try 6-10pm Pacific Time Zon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good blog, keep it up.
    I wonder if you have to adopt "Dune" philosophy (the book, forgive the obvious), and become like the fremen, "Casual Killers". It isn't personal, or maybe it is, but you get used to it. After all, the ship is permadead, not you :)

    Also, if you ever get good friends you can trust, have them do the same, nothing wrong with being like 3M and taking what others have done and making it better (I really like analogies), basically do what they did. If you loose ships once, but learn a new strategy that gets you kills, it was worth the price.
    Good hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Glenn for reading. I'm still trying to decide on my policy for 'visitors'. I'll post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete